Southeast Green - Business depends on the environment and the environment depends on business

Congress Looks to Close Oil and Gas Industry Loopholes

Reps. Cartwright, Polis, DeGette, and Schakowsky introduce common sense safeguards via their proposed “Frack Pack”

Members of the U.S. House of Representatives introduced legislation to close the loopholes that exempt the oil and gas industry from portions of our nation's bedrock environmental laws. 

Read more...

New Funding Opportunity to Develop Larger Wind Turbine Blades

The Energy Department announced $1.8 million in funding for the development of larger wind turbine blades that will help capture more power from wind resources and increase the efficiency of wind energy systems. This funding will support the research and development of technological innovations to improve the manufacturing, transportation, and assembly of wind turbine blades longer than 60 meters. Larger blades that can be installed on wind turbines with taller hub heights will help facilitate the deployment of the next generation of multi-megawatt wind turbines.

Read more...

Energy Department Releases New Wind Report, Examines Future of Industry

Present Day to 2050, Report Quantifies the Economic and Social Benefits of Robust Wind Energy Growth

In support of the President’s all-of-the-above energy strategy to diversify our nation’s power supplies, the Energy Department released a new report looking at the future of wind power through 2050 and the economic benefits that come with a robust wind industry. The report, Wind Vision: A New Era for Wind Power in the United States, confirms that with technological advancements driving projected cost reductions, in combination with continued siting and transmission development, wind power can be economically deployed to provide renewable power in all 50 states.

Read more...

The U.S. Now Has 20 GW of Installed Solar Capacity

Applauding a record-breaking year, GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) released the U.S. Solar Market Insight 2014 Year in Review report, the definitive source of installation data, forecasting and policy analysis for the U.S. solar market. Newly installed solar photovoltaic (PV) capacity for year reached a record 6,201 megawatts (MW), growing 30 percent over 2013’s total. An additional 767 MW of concentrating solar power (CSP) came on-line in the same period.

Read more...

4.5 Million Students Recycle and Compost 80.1 Million Pounds in 2015 RecycleMania Tournament

 

For the second year in a row, a small university in Seattle, Wash., was crowned Grand Champion of RecycleMania, a waste reduction and recycling competition among colleges and universities across 49 U.S. states and Canada.  At Antioch University Seattle, just 4 percent of the “waste” generated on campus ended up in the trash, with the other 96 percent being composted or recycled.

Read more...

Earth Day Network Leads U.S. and Global Activities for 45th Anniversary of Earth Day

Billions of Citizens Worldwide Will Stand Up, Speak Up and Take Action for Earth Day

Bringing the poverty, development, climate and sustainability communities together to build a broader and more inclusive global movement is the theme of this year's Earth Day, says Kathleen Rogers, President and CEO of Earth Day Network (EDN), an international nonprofit organization that coordinates Earth Day actions globally and works year round on climate and environmental policy issues and civic engagement. 

Read more...

GASCar 500